I realize this is a bold statement. I mean — moms are cool, in general, and we’re blessed to have so many of them. But if you disagree with the above claim, then you clearly have never met Sheila La Rosa.
There literally aren’t enough ways to count why Sheila is the best, but I’ll condense into the…
Top 9 Ways Sheila Rocks This Mom Thing:
1. My Mom is actually the hardest working person I’ve ever known. Because she’s Irish — and Irish people are frugal as all hell — my grandparents never gave her any handouts. She paid her own way through college and nursing school to become a RN in the emergency room, and she’s made certain to never have any debts. In fact, when she went to apply for a credit card in her thirties — up to then, she only ever paid for everything in cash — they wouldn’t give her one because she had no debts or credit to her name. Fun times!
She taught me to love science and not just be good at things, but to be the best at things. I only work as hard as I do now because of her example.
3. Sheila La Rosa is hilarious. Seriously, she’s the best storyteller I know. One of my friends came to visit our house one Christmas, and after my mom told a story about sending my brother and me to Montessori school as kids, and what a harrowing experience that was, my friend was crying from laughter. She said, “I totally get it now — I see where you get your sense of humor from.”
4. On that note, my mom is the original queen of SHADE. If you need proof, skip to 1:10 of this tequila taste test video we did for BuzzFeed.
She deserves her own reality show, if not her own network, magazine, and lifestyle blog. She gives new meaning to “Mombod” and “Mom Style.” Basically, she’s the epitome of #MomGoals.
7. Sheila taught me the importance of chutzpah (she grew up in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood in Queens, hence chutzpah). My Mom has always loved real estate and when I was a kid, we used to sneak into houses that were under construction. If we were caught (and we often were), she’d think of an excuse on the spot, “Oh, I was hoping to speak with the architect — I’m building my own home and just love the tile work.” I’ve talked my way into more things than I can say without incriminating myself, including a few under-construction homes of my own, all because of my Mom’s chutzpah.
8. My Mom knows how to have a good time. Every Christmas, she and my dad host a holiday party, and every July 4th she has all of her friends over for barbecue to watch the fireworks set off over the water.
9. And probably the most important reason of all reasons as to why my Mom is the greatest is that she managed to raise my brother and I into fairly upstanding adults.
My family. At my cousin’s wedding. Bringing all the damn fierceness. A photo posted by Erin La Rosa (@sideofginger) on
My brother perhaps a little more so than me, as he’s now a doctor and all!
Happy Mother’s Day to the world’s best mom!! Thank you for making me who I am today. I love you so very much.
Happen to agree that Sheila is the best?! Let her know in the comments!